Sunday, August 7, 2011

Thoughts on a Sunday Afternoon

I'm not much of a picture-sharer. Not sure if it's a privacy thing or the fact that most pictures of me are not ones I am willing to share :) But I do like having a forum where I can post some of my thoughts. I don't expect anyone to really care what I think but if you do, thanks for being here.

For me, blogging has turned out to be less a report of my daily life and more a place where I can think out loud, share some thoughts/ideas, and ask wise people their opinions. I like the feeling of support I get when kind people comment and share their thoughts.

Today, I wanted to share something that struck me in church. For many years now, I have heard people tell of their trials. Everyone has them, they say. And for some, one source of comfort has been the knowledge that, before we came to Earth, we chose our trials, or at least we knew what we were getting into. But that was as far as it went. And I couldn't help but wonder, "So what?" I chose my trials. That doesn't help me, it just means I had no idea what I was getting into because, were I given the chance to do it all over again, I'm not so sure I would "pick" these same trials. The fact that I know that I chose my hardships before I came here just proves my life-long theory: I'm not the brightest bulb.

BUT! Today, as I listened to the thoughts of others at church, something finally clicked with this whole idea. I finally understood why it's important to know that I chose this.

Here it is:

This body of mine is inhabited with that same spirit that chose these trials such a long time ago. And the spirit in me now has the same strength, hope, and grit that it had when it chose. And that strength, though it may be hiding deep in me somewhere, can be recovered. And I can do these hard things.

6 comments:

Kami Milliron said...

After we lost Elizabeth, I had a lot of people tell me that SAME THING about how I chose this and that because I chose it, I would get through it. Well, I knew I was going to get through and I am. But the knowledge of the Pre Existance and knowing I chose that trial did not help me at all. In fact, it made me think " what the heck was I thinking " : ) We were different people in the Pre Existance. But I firmly believe we will be blessed for our trials and hardships. I enjoy your thoughts. Keep sharing them : )

Linda and Rhonda said...

Rejoice greatly, O daughter of Zion; shout, O daughter of Jerusalem! Come what may and love it :) You can do hard things! (Also, you can stalk my blog if you want.) :)
~Rhonda~

Anonymous said...

Really loved this thought Emily, thanks for sharing :)

Birtcher said...

You are awesome Em! What a great strength it is to have that motivation, courage, and drive when you face life's many trials. Take life by the horns because, hey, you know you can do it :)

Lori said...

One word - perfect! Love your post and you!

Christine Marie said...

I love this, Emily. Thank you for posting <3 I think this lifted up a lot of people